Cubicle Castle: The Making of

I started with some large cardboard boxes my friend had in her basement. I connected them using Mr. McGroovy’s box rivets (https://mrmcgroovys.com/). I had planned to use hot glue and duct tape, but I found the Mr. McGroovy website when I was looking for painting ideas and it some really good suggestions – if you are going to do any sort of cardboard construction, definitely check out that website.

IMG_3159

I think the box rivets worked better than the tape and glue would have. I cut the drawbridge after I had connected the cardboard. I used a string to draw a circle for the top of the door, cutting the curve wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be.

There were tips for painting the wood on the McGroovy site. I got the paint from the ‘as is’ section of the paint aisle (I didn’t even know that existed – it’s pretty cool)

IMG_3163

Using ‘paint pads’ for the base coat really worked well.

IMG_3175

The painting for the bricks is what first got me to the McGroovy site(https://mrmcgroovys.com/how-do-you-paint-that-cool-brick-pattern-on-the-castle/). Admitidly, I stopped after step 4. I was going to shade the bricks, but I ran out of time. And I liked how the looked without it, and was afraid I’d mess it up trying to get too fancy.

I used ginormous Sharpies and free handed all the bricks. I think not using a straight edge was one of the keys; it looks more organic, and there are no glaring mistakes where I would have inevitably messed it up.

I started drawing horizontal lines across the whole thing, the vertical lines to define the bricks. I tried not to make the bricks not line up with each other. Then I went over every line again, thickening the lines, rounding the corners, and smoothing any jagged lines.

IMG_3177

The crenelations were made from one long piece of cardboard. I attached one side to the cubicle with straight pins. The other side was on top of the overhead. I folded the bottom and weighted it down to make it stand.

TIMG_3184

IMG_3217

The tops of each tower started as a rectangle of cardboard. I cut an cut from the middle of the top to each bottom corner – leaving me with one isosceles triangle and two smaller right triangles. The right triangles I taped together made an identical isosceles. (Geometry in action!) I used duct tape on the back and masking tape on the front.

I painted the triangles separately, then hot glued them together along the edges. Now, as has happened in every lab science class I’ve taken, the application somehow doesn’t match the reality (aka, the ‘identical’ triangles aren’t really identical). In this case, I used it to my advantage. I used the gap to hold the tower.

IMG_3165

I held the towers to the cubicle with straight pins.

IMG_3172

I took almost week to put the castle up. I started with the rear two towers on Tuesday, then added the front two towers on Wednesday, the crenelations went up Thursday, and the front panel was up for Friday.

The front panel is held up with a lot of straight pins. Putting the pins straight in – like I did for the towers and crenelation – didn’t work, they just pulled out. Used the pins in pairs, at opposite angles.

IMG_3214

I had to rig up something complicated for the door side

IMG_3203-001 IMG_3203-002

IMG_3203

 

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Halloween. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Cubicle Castle: The Making of

  1. Pingback: Halloween 2016 | geekgirlmae

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s